Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Another Dawn

 
Grace Graham has never stood and faced the challenges before her.  She usually turns and runs away.  Suddenly, she's faced with challenges in every direction and there is no where to run.  Her job, romantic relationship, family relationships, and more are on the line.  What's a woman to do?

That is the general outline for Another Dawn by Kathryn Cushman.  I was interested enough and thought it would be an enjoyable read.  I was expecting the typical Christian romance novel.  A few chapters in, I was disappointed to learn that this book is about far more than Grace and her challenges.  There are several big issues involved, highly charges issues of our times.  I felt let down that I was not warned about them in the preview materials I read.  This went from a relaxing read to something playing with my emotions and thoughts.  While I don't mind books that do that, I don't appreciate not having a warning about it.  After much thought, I reasoned that the publisher has intentionally left this information out and I will respect that in my review, but if anyone would like more information, they may contact me and I will share more.  Aside from that, the characters are written well enough.  The Ruminating Reader gives 3 out of 5 pieces of bacon. 

Kathryn Cushman practiced as a pharmacist until she became a full time novelist.  She is also a wife and mother of two.



I thought about the backyard and the stone circle around the tree.  The place where people started over. They pushed through hard, impossible circumstances to do the right thing, even though they didn't want to.  Even though maybe it wasn't really their fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read what you have to write.