Thursday, March 10, 2011

In the Footsteps of Paul

Ken Duncan is the author and photographer of In the Footsteps of Paul. This book contains pictures of places Paul the Apostle is thought to have seen or visited. There are also pictures of art work relating to his life. Accompanying the pictures are quotes from the Bible as well as various other authors, preachers, and thinkers. The book is divided into three major sections, The Making of a Man, The Mission of a Man, and The Destiny of a Man.
I opened the book with much excitement because I appreciate good photography and good writing. Ultimately, I was not disappointed. I thought the work was very well put together. I did not like the few pictures that showed modern towns/cities because they did not seem to relate to Paul. While he certainly may have passed through the area, it is a sure thing that it looked nothing like it does now. Nor is there any way to picture the place as it once may have been because it is so modern at this time. The book is, in the end, a coffee table book, not a scholarly work (but I did not expect it to be so, thus I was not let down). It is one I will be proud to leave out and hope that my visitors look through. I know I will browse through it time and time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read what you have to write.