Thursday, March 10, 2011

Midnight in Madrid

Midnight in Madrid by Noel Hynd is a mysterious who done it, who has it, and why, story filled with international conflict, political intrigue, art theft, organized crime, terrorism, and the complication of personal relationships. Other reviewers have likened it to The Maltese Falcon and The Da Vinci Code. I believe it has a bit of the Bourne trilogy in there as well. When the book begins, Alexandra LaDuca is enjoying a much needed and deserved rest from her last case. She is suddenly called to Spain and asked to discover the location of a Christian carving called The Pieta of Malta(100). As she travels through Europe in pursuit of the truth, her paths cross and parallel a wide range of other characters. She doesn't know who she can trust, if anyone. Little does she realize, there is a deadline to her case.
Again, this book was not something I would normally pick up, but I was very pleased with the selection. I found the characters to be a mix between well developed people and stereotypes, but no one was so over the top as to be unbelievable. I noted that this is, I believe, the second in a trilogy. While there are a few references to the first book, Midnight in Madrid can stand on its own very well. It is very likely that I will seek out the first book and will be sure to catch the third when it is released. If you are looking for a fast paced adventure/mystery, be sure to give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read what you have to write.