Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Plain Wisdom


Our hope and prayer are that these memories will encourage and strengthen you as you create memories within your friend and family circles.


It doesn't matter if you belong to the Old Order Amish or if you are "Englischer," some things are universal to the human condition.  Plain Wisdom explores these common links of birth, death, financial difficulties, laughter, and much more.  Cindy Woodsmall (the Englischer) and Miriam Flaud (Old Order Amish) each offer words of wisdom regarding each topic, set in its own chapter.  Along the way, the women share some recipes and traditions of their culture.

I was excited to read this book.  I expected to be drawn in by both the similarities and differences of these two women.  Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.  The essays written by these women were so short that I couldn't really connect with the writing or writers.  It felt like this was only a partial work instead of a complete one.  I do think what they wrote was heartfelt and has much potential, I'd just like to see it be expanded and flow together more smoothly.  If you do pick this book up, I recommend you intend to read it in small doses instead of just sitting down with it.  I'm giving Plain Wisdom 2 out of 5 pieces of bacon.

Cindy Woodsmall is a New York Times best selling author of several novels.  She is also a wife and mother.  Miriam Flaud is wife, mother, and grandmother.  She lives within an Old Amish Order community.

Plain Wisdom was written by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud.  It was published by WaterBrook Press

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read what you have to write.