Sunday, May 29, 2011

When the Soul Mends


Regardless of what it took, she'd get through the next few days with her dignity intact.  They'd trampled her spirit once.  She'd not give them another chance.

Hannah Lapp left her home in an Old Order Amish Community with a heart full of hurt and anger.  Everyone she knew thought poorly of her despite not knowing the truth of one tragic day.  She thought, after two years, that she was healing and beginning a new exciting life.  One phone call from her old home divides her heart again.  Hannah must face those who once scorned her in an attempt to help her troubled sister.  Is there healing in Pennsylvania or will that part of her life be forever ended?


When the Soul Mends is book three in the Sisters of the Quilt series.  I have not read the first two books in the series and found myself struggling through the first half of the book.  I knew I was missing important details.  This book is clearly written for those who have read the first two books.  I am not sure if it is my unfamiliarity with the characters or the writing itself, but I had a hard time connecting with the characters other than Hannah.  I do think Woodsmall presents the conflicting feelings a person can have, torn between the worlds of Old Order Amish and Englischer, but am not sure she always clearly presents why characters make the choices they do.  Faith in God is not strongly woven into the story.  I don't believe in that as a requirement for a book, but am mentioning it for those who are seeking that.  I believe this book earns a 3 out of 5 pieces of bacon.

Cindy Woodsmall is a New York Times best selling author of several novels.  She is also a wife and mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read what you have to write.