Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Come Away With Me

Come Away With Me by Cynthia Hyle Bezek Published by NavPress

Most people desire to have a better prayer life. Most people recognize that they are weary and in need of rest. There are also times in our lives when we are searching for answers to particular questions or problems. In Come Away With Me, Cynthia Hyle Bezek explains how she has taken prayer retreats for the purposes above and a few others. She gives reasons for people to take retreats and outlines ways in which they can be accomplished. She also uses the Word of God to back up her thoughts.
I was excited to get this book and thought that I would get many great ideas. While I did get some good ideas and appreciated having many verses relating to this topic in one place, I was disappointed with the overall tone of the book. I found that she is quite specific in what she believes a prayer retreat is/isn't and I am not sure I agree with her completely. It is very much her concept of a retreat and while I am glad it works for her, I am not sure I agree with this. I think this book can be of benefit as it does offer some good ideas and like I said, the verses are good too, but don't expect this to be "the one" book to read in planning a retreat for yourself or group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to read what you have to write.